This Catholic Church forms part of a range of significant historic buildings associated with the site of Omagh District Asylum built c.1852, to designs by William Farrell, presently occupied by Omagh Mental Hospital (part of the Sperrin and Lakeland Trust). The Mental Hospital was one of the last of a second series of similar buildings to be erected throughout Ireland by the Irish Board of Works as part of a programme to provide facilities to deal with issues loosely related to mental health.
The Church now vacant, had fallen into disrepair and as part of the Trust’s proposed re-development of the site by the Department of Health Alastair Coey Architects were commissioned to carry out a detailed condition survey of the interior and exterior in April 2007, which identified areas of fabric failure. Urgent repairs commenced in March 2009 which consisted of sensitive conservation structural repairs to roof trussess affected by dry rot in order to minimize the loss and overall disruption of the roof construction. Other works involved re-slating and upgrading with new insulation, stonework repairs and re-pointing, refurbishment of leaded lights and doors and refurbishment of existing rainwater goods. The first phase was completed in December 2009.