The conservatory was added to Ballywalter Park around 1863, a Victorian addition to the earlier house, itself remodelled in the Italianate style by Sir Charles Lanyon around 1850. The most recent restoration work to this Grade A listed building, which was completed in July 2009 at a contract value of approximately £637,000, marked one of the final phases of work to the mansion and its splendid parkland setting.
The work to the conservatory involved restoration of the entire glass roof, including the elegant cast- and wrought-iron dome, by a specialist metalwork company in Bradford. Other major aspects of the work included repairs to the intricate ashlar sandstone facades with their Corinthian columns and detailed cornices, refurbishment of sash windows and an exact replica of the elaborately bordered polychromatic tile floor replacing the severely damaged original.
The project received grant assistance from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency and was used as the venue for the launch of Northern Ireland’s European Heritage Open Day in September 2009. The project received a highly commended award at the RSUA Design Awards 2010.