Brownlee Primary was built in 1913 by local architect James Hunter, and falls within Lisburn Conservation Area. The school consists of the original brick built building, with single storey extensions to east and west, and north. Adjoining the historic building, is a two-storey extension, built in 1960. Although well-maintained, the school suffered from outdated facilities, inadequate classroom and storage space, poor insulation and weatherproofing.
In June 2009, Alastair Coey Architects Ltd was commissioned to carry out a condition survey and prepare a condition report addressing the general structural and fabric condition of the buildings. The restoration scheme, involving replacement windows, replacement of roof covering and associated leadwork, upgrading of thermal insulation, repointing and repairs to external walling, and alterations to boundary wall, was completed in September 2010.
In 2010, Alastair Coey Architects Ltd also carried out a feasibility study for remodelling and extension of the historic building.