The Model Primary School was designed in the Jacobean Revival style, by Frederick Darley of Dublin around 1858 and opened in 1862. It was one of twenty-eight model schools erected throughout Ireland in the mid-nineteenth century. Restoration to the external fabric included stonework repairs, replacement of missing carved details and refurbishment of sash windows. A new two-storey extension is separated from the original building by a full height glazed atrium. The project received numerous awards.