Murray Sons and Company Limited established its tobacco processing business in Belfast in 1810 specialising in the manufacture of pipe tobacco and snuff. In 1900 the company relocated to the Linfield Road site an later added the B+ listed two-and-a-half storey brick and stone administration building, with its distinctive pyramid-roofed towers.
Alastair Coey Architects was commissioned by the client to prepare a condition report, conservation statement and masonry survey as part of a wider scheme to extend and develop the site for commercial use. The appointment was extended to provide full architectural services for the restoration and re-modelling of the listed building. This £1M project was carried out in collaboration with White Ink Architects which was responsible for the contiguous modern development that embraces the rear elevation of the listed building.