The Preparatory School of Royal Boys Academical Institute was founded at ‘Inchmarlo’ Marlborough Park Belfast in 1917. This was as the result of the boarding houses at Inst being closed and the Governors deciding to buy a property at 106 Marlborough Park North.
Alastair Coey Architects was appointed in 2011 to carry out a survey of two outward leaning gable walls with intentions to fully reinstate the structural stability of the walls. Works included removal of cemetatious mortar and re-pointing with traditional lime mortar to give the structure breathability. Carried out over two phases each gable was corrected and stabilized using stainless steel fixing and incorporated a steel brace to tie the masonry to the roof structure. The existing roofslopes were re-slated with new slate and lead flashings to current standards. The contract value for phase 1 was £23k and Phase 2 £28K