Armagh Mall was established by Church of Ireland Primate Robinson in 1773 when he leased common land for use as a public park. By the 1990s, the Mall had fallen into serious disrepair. In 2001, Armagh City Council with the support of the Mall Trustees and Cricket Club submitted an application for funding to the Heritage Lottery Fund to restore, improve and develop the Mall.
Restoration of the historic park, to a contract value of approximately £1M commenced in 2003. Work involved resurfacing of all paths and edgings, restoration of boundary walls and railings, complemented by historically appropriate planting, new gates, contemporary street furniture and lighting, and the installation of interpretation panels relating to the Mall’s history and context. The project received an RIAI award in 2005, and was winner of the Civic Trust’s Northern Ireland Public Realm Award in 2005.